Monday, September 2, 2013

Restaurant Week: T.W. Food & Bergamot

For the last two weeks, restaurants have been participating in Boston Restaurant Week. We like to visit a couple new spots whenever the occasion rolls around, and if I do say so myself, we picked two winners this time. Our first stop was at T.W. Food, almost hidden in a nondescript neighborhood in Cambridge, about a mile from Porter Square. It's not the most glamorous location, and it's hardly accessible without a car, but if you manage to find it, I think you're sure to enjoy it.
We were seated at a cozy table in the corner, and I started out with the rich "creme brulee" foie gras served with toasted buttery bread, a tart cherry compote, and fresh local plums. For the main course, my husband's seared flat-iron steak was just as delicious as my swordfish in an asian-inspired broth.  Why can't I cook swordfish this perfectly at home? We opted for wine pairings with the first two courses, and the selections (mostly French) paired beautifully with our dinner. When dessert rolled around, I'm so glad that I opted for the cheese plate. My favorites were both from Vermont: Twig Farm Butterwick and Mt Mansfield Inspiration
Also off the beaten path (read: not on the T), we enjoyed another fantastic dinner at Bergamot in Somerville.  Light from the early evening sun flooded into the dining room from their tall windows as we were taken to our table. The staff was friendly and helpful, recommending fantastic (and adventurous) beer and wine pairings for our meal. (My other favorite thing about Bergamot? They have a parking lot! That is just unheard of around here!)
After warm, freshly baked bread smeared with a basil parmesan compound butter, I started with the duck confit salad. Tender duck with its perfectly crisped skin was tossed with romaine, radishes, braised celery, wheat berries, and a light vinaigrette.  Things only got better for the main course. My husband really enjoyed his bluefish, but I think my pasta was the star of the show: a house-made tagliatelle with zucchini, chanterelle mushrooms, mozzarella, and tomato fondue topped with a fried squash blossom. It managed to be light and summery yet hearty and comforting at the same time.
Both meals were wonderful, memorable experiences, and I can't wait to pay another visit to both T.W. Food and Bergamot. These may not be the flashiest restaurants in the hippest Boston neighborhoods, but they are well worth a trip off the beaten track. They're truly hidden gems! 

No comments:

Post a Comment