Monday, April 22, 2013

Mexican Food in Medford: Tenoch

Stop the presses, y'all!  After years of missing the Mexican flavors so prevalent at home in Texas, it turns out that there is some really great Mexican food in Medford!  The good folks at Tenoch opened up in Medford Center about a year ago, and we finally paid them a visit earlier this month. When we walked in the door and began scanning the large menu board, we were like two Texans in a candy store (where the candy is Mexican food).

On our first visit, I tried the Torta Campechana, a mole-smothered pork tamale, and glass of sangria.  Tortas weren't on the menu at TexMex places when I was growing up, so this was a first for me. It was served on buttery toasted telera bread, spread with a black bean paste, and generously stuffed with carnitas, chorizo, Oaxaca cheese, avocado, onion, and tomato, all drizzled with a little chipotle mayo.  The tamale was very good, but the real highlight was the torta. After a couple visits, the Torta Campechana is still my favorite item on the menu.  And the sangria is some of the best I've had in Boston.
On my next visit, they had a special on the menu, a Torta de Pescado.  Lighter than the Torta Campechana, it's still warm and buttery and satisfying. The fish had been crisped up on the griddle, and with the creamy avocado, fresh crisp vegetables, and a little kick from the chipotle mayo, it was a refreshing, delicious sandwich.  I washed it down with another glass of sangria, naturally.
Update 6/2013: Tenoch is now serving Elote, Mexican corn on the cob, just in time for summer, and man is it good. According to my best guess, the corn is rolled in crema and cotija cheese and sprinkled with chili powder and lime juice. it's creamy and tangy and just a touch spicy. I think I'm in love.

Tenoch is truly a hidden gem, and I'm tickled pink that it's right down the street from us.  They're looking to expand into the city, and I believe they will have their very own food truck in the not-so-distant future, but for now, it's most certainly worth a trip into the suburbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment