Thursday, December 6, 2012

Dersh's Texas Peach Cobbler

I received another surprise in the mail this week. A jar of homemade canned peaches from my sweet friend Laura, a fellow Texan who now lives in the LA area. It was like receiving a little jar of summer, a little sunshine in the midst of our dreary, cold winter.
 
She also tucked in the box a printed recipe for Peach Cobbler, scanned from the Homesick Texan cookbook. A woman after my own heart. I can't wait to give it a try this weekend. And while I shouldn't share the Homesick Texan's recipe with you, I can share a recipe that is even more special to me: my great-grandmother Dersh's cobbler. It's as easy as pie (or cobbler? to whip up and oh so good.

 Ingredients
4 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
1 cup water
1 1/2 cup sugar, divided (plus a little extra for sprinkling on top of the cobbler)
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup (4 Tb) butter (plus a little extra for dotting the top of the cobbler)
1/2 cup milk
 

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375F.

Let the peaches, 1 cup of sugar, and water come to boil in a pan. Remove from the heat and let stand while you put together the dough.

Cut the butter into the dry ingredients (including the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar). Add milk. Mix and pour into the bottom of a buttered baking dish. (I recommend using a deep baking dish to avoid a bubbling over nightmare. I use a 2.5 qt round baking dish).

Pour/dip your hot peaches and juice over the dough. Sprinkle with a little more sugar, and dot with butter.

Bake for about 45 minutes or until some of the dough rises to the top, browns a little, and the juice is bubbly.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment