Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Little Disappointed

Prior to an event at MIT on Thursday, we decided to finally try the much-hyped burger at Craigie on Main. We arrived just as the doors were opening (recommended due to the very limited supply of burgers, usually around 20 per night). We were seated in the bar and sipped cocktails, a Civilian for me, a delicious mezcal concoction, as we eagerly awaited our food. Their "libations" menu is quite impressive, and they obviously have some very talented folks behind the bar.

When our burgers arrived, they were served with steak fries and a salad along with house-made ketchup, pickles, and slaw. I usually prefer skinny shoestring-style fries rather than thick wedged steak fries, but I have to admit these were fantastic -- well seasoned, perfectly crisp, and meticulously plated. And although I'm pretty sure that a salad should not be a highlight when having a burger, I could have eaten my weight in this simple side salad. The dressing was that good.  

Unfortunately, I have to admit that we were both a bit disappointed when it came to the burger itself.  While it's beautiful to look at, ridiculously juice and meaty, and VERY good, it just didn't live up to our (admittedly sky-high) expectations We had trouble putting our finger on it, but I think we narrowed it down to our desire for more texture in the patty and  for more (and maybe a tad sharper) cheese. I'm glad we tried it, but I think from here on out we'll stick with our go-to "fancy-pants burger" from Eastern Standard


No comments:

Post a Comment