Thursday, November 8, 2012

How to Survive the First Snow

Yesterday afternoon, I looked up from my desk to see snow flurries swirling outside my office window. Immediately I was torn between a thrill of excitement and a heavy sense of dread that, just like that, winter was upon us. Yesterday it was still fall. But today it's winter.
I've survived three winters in Boston already, one of which was of epic proportions, but the transition into this very long, very cold season is still a struggle. Thankfully, I have a few tricks up my sleeve for brightening even the bitterest winter day.


1) Don't leave the house without a good coat, boots that will keep your feet dry, and at least one functional but cute accessory that makes you feel pretty, like this brightly colored scarf.
(photo from Gap)

2) As soon as you make your way out of the snow and into your little home, turn on all the lights (this helps fend off those Seasonal Affective Disorder blues due to lack of sunshine), and then change into something warm and cozy  -- your favorite hoodie, fuzzy socks, sweat pants, you name it.

3) Whip up something comforting for dinner. Last night, I made a big pot of homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, which really hit the spot. I'm a sucker for egg noodles. 
4) After dinner, have a steaming mug to sip from as you curl up on the couch.  You can't go wrong with tea or hot chocolate, but one of my favorites is this Apple Ginger Hot Toddy recipe. Apple cider, mulling spices, ginger, lemon, honey, and a splash of booze will warm you right up.
5) Start a crafty project to keep your hands busy, like crocheting a scarf or knitting a throw blanket.
(photo from lombok)

With that, I think I'm ready to face the cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment