Monday, March 4, 2013

Books and Brunch

Saturday, I spent a very girly morning in Boston for brunch, shopping, and frozen yogurt with my friend Jessica. We started things off at Trident Bookseller's and Cafe, a little shop with some of my favorite things all under one roof: books, food, and coffee. What more could a girl want?  We were seated up on the second floor by a bay window, winter sun streaming in, with a fine view of bustling Newbury Street below.

I ordered a steaming mug of coffee and their breakfast sandwich, offered with bacon or avocado. But to choose between the two is just plain silly -- I got both! This is brunch, after all. What came out of the kitchen was an open-faced sandwich. Toasted bread spread generously with avocado and topped with crumbled crispy bacon, beautifully runny sunny-side-up eggs, and molten cheese spilling over onto the plate.  To balance out the indulgent sandwich, I also ordered one of their vegetables juices, the Stress Reliever. This was my first all-vegetable juice, and it was almost grassy in taste.  I have to admit, I didn't love it, but it was fun to try something new.
After our plates were cleared, it was time to shop! Before stops at Zara and Anthropologie, we poked around Trident's bookshelves. I somehow managed to walk away with only two books, one of which I already have two copies of at home. I know that sounds silly, but it's my favorite. It's Jane Eyre. Sweet, passionate, principled, courageous Jane.

See, my first copy is tattered and frayed, the cover hanging on by brittle strips of tape. I can't bear to get rid of it, because it reminds me of the first time I read the story. The second copy is one I bought for my husband before we got married. He started it twice but never finished it. Somehow, I love him anyway. Why would I need a third copy? Well, have you seen these Penguin Hardback Classics? They're gorgeous, and I couldn't help myself.
While we're talking beautiful book editions, I also want these, courtesy of Mr. Boddington's Penguin Classics. Jane Eyre, with its lively yellow print and curling text, and the cheery and colorful Pride and Prejudice are hard to resist. Apparently Penguin is attempting to corner the cool book cover market.
Then there are these breathtaking embroidered Penguin Threads covers (another by Penguin -- this is getting ridiculous). I would love to have this version of Little Women, another favorite, on my bookshelves.
Am I the only person tempted to buy endless copies of their favorite books? Every time I see an ornate new edition or a tattered and well-loved copy, I want to bring it home with me. Someday, when we have our very own home, I dream of having a cozy reading nook and walls and walls lined with books. At this rate, I'll need a whole shelf dedicated to sweet Jane, the Bennet sisters, and the March sisters.
(Home Library spotted at To Die For Decor Tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment