Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Beating the Winter Blues

It's March, and it snowed again today. In the frozen tundra of New England, we have at least one more month of cold and snow before we can even begin thinking about warmer weather. I'm a summer girl that needs warmth and sunshine, and right now I've got to tell you that I've got a bad case of the Winter Blues. So in an attempt to think about sunnier things, here's my plan:

1) Bake this beautiful Tomato Tart from The Endless Meal
Does anything say summer more than tomatoes? And as these tomatoes are roasted, the recipe is a little more forgiving when using sub-par winter tomatoes. Bonus Points: In the winter the house isn't so warm that I can't turn on the oven!
(photo from The Endless Meal)

2) Mix up one of these Sunburnt Margaritas
Using some beautiful in-season citrus in place of traditional lime, these look like summer in a glass.
(photo from What's Gaby Cooking)

3) Throw an indoor "Garden Party"
Why not turn up the heat, invite some friends over, throw on flouncy sun dresses, put out fresh flowers and colorful decor, and pretend we're having a garden party on a warm, breezy summer day? I totally want to make this happy garland and napkins for the occasion. 
(Photo from Project Nursery)
(photo from The Purl Bee)

4) Indulge in an At-Home Spa Day
How fun would this be? Make a homemade sugar or salt scrub (like this three ingredient Lemon Salt Scrub) for the shower, spread on a face mask, cozy up in a fuzzy robe, paint my nails with a bright summer color, the works!
(photo from The Beauty Department)

5) Buy more fresh flowers
Fresh flowers in a pitcher on the dining room table or in a vase in the living room do so much to brighten up a dreary winter day.


6) Light cheerful candles
In the winter, I'm usually drawn to bright citrusy scents. Two of my favorites right now are the Mandarin Lavender from Paddywax as well as their Pomegranate Spruce.

(Photo from Paddywax)

7) Start a craft project
Having a fun project to work on makes the days seem a little less dark and dreary. One I've been itching to start is this adorable cross stitch featuring one of my favorite Jane Austen quotes.
(photo from Gazette 94)

8) Curl up with a good book
I've been reading the incredibly dense Dr Zhivago. A story of people caught up in the tumultuous Russian Revolution, it is by no means "beach reading".  I'm pretty ready to get through the last 25 pages and start something a little lighter. Something perfect for spending a lazy morning on the couch curled up under a blanket with a cup of hot tea. I think I want to re-read Bradbury's beautiful Dandelion Wine.
(photo from The Kids Stick Together)

No comments:

Post a Comment