Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Rib Knit Cowl

It's knitting season again! I may hate the winter, but I love an excuse to get my needlework out. I'll happily sit curled up on the couch for hours, work spread over my lap and watching re-runs of Friends. Throw in a mug of hot tea, and you've got yourself a fine afternoon. I'm such a little old lady at heart. 

At last season's Medford Winter Farmers Market, I picked up a skein of this lovely hand-spun yarn from Natural Specialties. Finally, I came across the perfect project for it: a ribbed knit cowl pattern from Tentenknits. It looked so pretty and warm. 
So I got out my yarn, my needles, and my knitting bowl and got started. It's a simple pattern that I was able to finish over the weekend. Here's how I made mine using straight needles rather than circular needles, as the original pattern calls for. (Someday I nee to learn how to use those).

Materials
Size 8 Straight Knitting Needles (I used 14")
Skein of yarn
Yarn needle

Pattern
Cast on 64 stitches (starting with a yarn tail of ~32 in)
*Knit 4, Purl 4, *repeat the pattern until row is complete.
Continue until you have about 12"-13" inches completed (~50 rows).
Cut the yarn free from the yarn ball, leaving a tail that's around 1.5 ft long. 
Thread the tail through a yarn needle, and use a whip stitch (similar to this method) to stitch up the sides of the rectangle, forming a long tube.
Once stitched up, cut off any of the remaining yarn tail.
Ta da! Simply pull it over your head in place of a scarf to keep yourself cozy and warm all winter. I've been using mine for a couple of days now, and I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment